Sunday, September 6, 2026
1941 All Jews over the age of 6 in German territories were ordered to wear a star
1985 Midwest Express Flight 105 crashed shortly after taking off from Milwaukee’s Mitchell Field for Atlanta. All 31 passengers and crew aboard the DC-9 were killed.
1997 Funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was held at Westminster Abbey in London
2022 A fire in a karaoke bar near Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, killed at least 32
2023, Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi called for a major reduction in the country's birth rate to avoid a catastrophe, from more than two million to 400,000 a year
2023 Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide
2025 Around 890 people were arrested at a demonstration against the ban on the group Palestine Action in London, England.
In bed at 9, up at 5:14; 0530 204.0 (204.4). 110/69/67 125; 63/74/63, mostly sunny/partly cloudy. Rough night's sleep w/ bladder.
Morning meds at 8:50 a.m. Entresto at 6:35 a.m. and p.m.
Text to Deirdre Keenan this morning:
Good morning, Derry. Kate provided me your telephone number some time ago by text message, or so I thought. I looked for it and couldn’t find it. I thought I must have somehow deleted it. It turned out that Kate had emailed it, not texted it, and I found it this morning. I’m afraid I have become a bit, and perhaps more than a bit, addlepated in my old age. My phone number is 414 801-1905 and I would love to reconnect with you. It’s been so long. For some reason, I thought for a long time that you were back in Traverse City. I would love to see you again so if you haven’t written me off, please text or give me a call. Geri and I live in Bayside now, at 9581 N. Wakefield Ave., 53217. We’ll celebrate our 40th anniversary in the Spring. Sarah has lived in Germany for the past 15 years and is married to a good German fellow, Christian Kovacs, into whose family she has been warmly accepted. Andy got a law degree in Marquette’s part-time program, married a Vietnamese American girl with a wonderful family, and lives in Bayside, with his wife Anh, and their three children. Steve Kevil and his wife Nikki live in Chicago, where she practices family law, and David lives in Fox Point, with his wife Sharon and daughter Ellis.
Every Effort. I'm making progress in Barbara Mullen Keenan's book, past p. 200 of its 351 total pages. I've been surprised to learn of the deep, passionate division in the MIA/POW movement, between those stayed loyal supporters of Nixon throughout the years of his keeping the war going and expanding it, and those who wanted him to end the war NOW and bring the troops, and the POWs home. As I wrote yesterday (?), those were the years (1968 through 1971, where I am no in the book), of Tet, expanding then shrinking numbers of troops in the war, expansion of the war in Cambodia, Kent State, Sterling Hall, massive anti-war demonstrations, and growing opposition to the war in the rest of the world. I'm surprised by Barbara's description of the real enmity between the two groups of MIA/POW families. She belonged to and indeed was a significant leader of the 'Bring them home now' group.
My Facebook offering today:
What we might expect from a guy who let some other guy go to Vietnam in his stead, perhaps to be one of the 58,220 KIAs, 153,303 WIAs, or 2,600 MIAs, or 766 POWs, or the millions who may have left Vietnam, but Vietnam never left them.



No comments:
Post a Comment